Laura Neilson’s Top Fashion And Beauty Picks For Short Hair
A pixie haircut can be a gamechanger for more than just one’s locks.
Here are the products and accessories this style writer relies on the most.
The Margot team independently selects all products; however, we may earn an affiliate commission if a purchase is made via our retail links.
When Laura Neilson, a Manhattan-based fashion and style writer (and frequent Margot contributor) asked her hairstylist Julie Dickson at Joon Drop to chop her shoulder-length locks, she didn’t think her new pixie-ish haircut would have such a profound effect on her go-to beauty and accessory choices. “I’m using different hair styling products now, of course. But my makeup and earring game has also changed now that those features of my face are so visible,” she says. “I love it, though.”
Below, Laura’s ultimate list for making the most of short hairstyles.
1. I love products that pull double-duty. I use this on wet, freshly-washed hair, and also whenever my strands need a quick refresh. The subtle scent is fabulous, too.
2. This is perfect for adding a bit of grit and texture.
3. Usually I shy away from hair gels because they leave my hair too greasy and wet-seeming, or helmet-hard—not so with this one! I use it whenever I need a touch of dimension and more of a “look,” and my hair still feels touchable afterwards.
Skin & Face
4. Another double-duty wonder.
5. When it comes to makeup and short hair, I think it’s best to play up a single feature. You can never go wrong with a classic red lip.
Jewelry & Accessories
6. Khaite x Oliver Peoples do a great cat-eye shape that I'm also really into right now.
7. With my ears more visible these days, I suddenly want to adorn them with gorgeous cuffs and cascading earrings.
8. Gigi Burris’ hats, which she crafts by hand in her petite Chinatown atelier, are beyond special. This style is one of her most popular, especially as it works on all head sizes and hair lengths. The only issue: you may want one of these chic toppers in every color.
Back to Margot Shop